INTERSECTION ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS
In Florida, it is estimated that one out of every three accidents occurs at an intersection. Why so many? Because a person thinks they can catch the light before it turns red. In their attempt to catch the yellow they must accelerate their vehicle. This high-speed scenario is where an intersection accident can become serious and even fatal.
Multiple cities in Florida have been busy installing red light cameras in many intersections. Even though the cameras will help catch the drivers running red lights and issue citations, it doesn’t stop an accident from actually happening.
The dangerous thing about these accidents is that one of the vehicles is usually struck on in a vulnerable section like the side of the car. Because many vehicles still do not have side airbags, this can expose the driver and/or passenger(s) to serious injury or death.
COMMON CAUSES OF INTERSECTION ACCIDENTS
The most common causes of a car accident in an intersection include:
- Running a red light
- Failure to stop at a red light before making a right turn
- Running a stop sign
- Ignoring yield signs and the right of way for other vehicles
- Making a right turn at a red light when the sign states it is not legal
- Disregarding the right of way to a motorcycle
AVOIDING AN INTERSECTION ACCIDENT
- Do not change lanes: You need to stay in your lane when driving through an intersection. Remember that there are many cars at that intersection and they are not all going the same direction you are. These drivers are making their decisions based on where the other cars are. If you change lanes in an intersection, you are putting yourself and other cars at risk of getting into an accident.
- Look both ways when the light turns green: Even though green means go, you need to take a quick look to your left and your right before you hit the gas. This simple two-second step can help you avoid a high-speed collision with someone trying to catch the yellow from the other direction. It can also possibly save you and any of your passengers from a serious injury or death from a car accident.
- Watch out when you make a right: It is very common for a vehicle to arrive at an intersection and only look towards the left (to watch for oncoming cars) before making a right turn. It is important for drivers to also look towards the right. This quick look to the right could avoid a collision with cars that are backed up and not moving at the speed you are expecting, a bus, a pedestrian attempting to cross the intersection or a cyclist.
The car accident attorneys of Madalon Law understand that it doesn’t matter if you live in Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach or any other Florida county; Intersection accidents happen too often. Please take the extra few seconds needed to drive through an intersection safely. If you or a loved one has already been injured in an intersection accident, then contact our Fort Lauderdale Office for your free consultation. The Broward injury attorneys at Madalon Law are here to help.