LANE CHANGE AND SIDESWIPE ACCIDENTS
With all of the busy roads and everyone in a hurry to get to where they are going, it’s no surprise that sideswipe accidents are a daily occurrence in Miami, Broward and Palm Beach counties. Sideswipe car accidents are a common type of accident that can happen anywhere and result in serious injury or even death in certain situations. A sideswipe accident occurs when vehicles hit the sides of one another at a sidelong angle.
Sideswipe car accidents (or Lane change accidents) can happen a few ways. There could be two cars traveling in the same direction and one car drifts into the other lane and striking the second vehicle.
There can also be two cars traveling in the opposite directions with one drifting over the center lane and rubbing against the other car. This is a very dangerous scenario because the fact that the two vehicles were so close to a head on collision could easily leave the drivers in a panic mode where they may end up colliding with other vehicles. A third scenario is when there are two vehicles headed in the same direction and one begins to make an improper turn, but then ends up in a sideswipe accident while taking action to avoid a full blown side impact car accident (or T-bone accident).
REASONS FOR SIDESWIPE ACCIDENTS
The easiest way to avoid a sideswipe accident is for drivers to stay in their lane. Here are some reasons why this doesn’t always happen:
- Aggressive and/or negligent driving: When someone is simply not paying attention and is changing lanes too fast to bother looking or using a turn signal. Aggressive lane changing is often seen when a driver is trying to switch lanes quickly because their intended highway exit is approaching sooner than they thought.
- The blind spot or blind zone: The high trunk and low roof look is becoming more and more common with new car designs. Unfortunately, this modern sleek look also gives poor visibility to its drivers. These blind spots can make it easy for a driver to miss a car riding alongside them.
- Driver fatigue: Dozing off behind the wheel can be dangerous for the driver and any other vehicles they are sharing the road with.
- Driving under the influence: If staying in your lane seems like a challenge, then you should not be on the road.
- Distracted driving: Smartphones and multitasking behind the wheel can easily make someone drift out of their lane.
INJURIES FROM SIDESWIPE ACCIDENTS AND WHY YOU NEED AN ATTORNEY
Many insurance companies balk at sideswipe victims when they claim they are injured due to the accident. This is mainly because these accidents are not looked at as seriously as other auto collisions. Even in a sideswipe accident where the damage to the car is “not too bad”, the human body will still receive a strong enough jolt that can injure the spine and neck. The collision into the vulnerable side of the car combined with the unexpected jerking from the hit is more than enough to cause severe spine injury and disk herniation that may go undetected for days. Because of this, you need to visit your doctor and seek an attorney to make sure you receive the financial compensation you deserve for your injuries. Contact our office now for your free consultation.