SOUTH FLORIDA HAS MANY CAMPUSES; IT IS IMPORTANT FOR THOSE STUDENTS TO BE AWARE OF THEIR SURROUNDINGS
Students on campuses fall victim to criminal attacks more often than you would believe. When a student sustains an injury because they are attacked while on an elementary school, middle school, high school, community college, or university campus, it’s a must that they know someone could be responsible for their medical bills. If the institution did not have proper safety precautions in place, they can be held liable for negligent security of the campus.
The negligent security attorneys at Madalon Law know exactly how to handle these types of claims and they can help you recover money for your injuries. If your child, or yourself has suffered an injury because they were attacked on a campus in South Florida, it is imperative that you contact legal counsel immediately to discuss your legal options. Madalon Law will gladly go over your case with you during a free consultation.
KNOWING HOW TO APPROACH A NEGLIGENT SECURITY CLAIM IS VITAL
Filing a claim for personal injuries against a large learning institution can be an uphill battle. In order to be successful in your negligent security claim, it must be established that the school had a duty of care which was owed to the victim. This can be accomplished by demonstrating a unique relationship between the institution and the student, faculty member or visitor. Generally, a person claiming personal injury because of negligent security against a school will fall under one of the following relationship categories:
- Invitee – If a student is enrolled in the institution, taking courses there, and/or involving themselves in on-campus activities, they are considered an “Invitee” of that institution. Being an invitee creates a duty of care owed by the school to its students to exercise reasonable care to prevent foreseeable dangers.
- Tenant – If a student lives on campus while attending classes there, it is possible that they made have an established relationship of landlord/tenant. If this relationship type is applicable, the duty of care that the school may owe to the student may fall under the same duty as someone who rents a place from someone.
Additionally, a successful negligent security claim must demonstrate that the owed duty of the campus was breached by their lack of safety measures. If any element of a negligence claim fails to be proven, there can be no award for damages to a victim of an attack.
LEGAL ADVICE WILL HELP YOU GET ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS ABOUT AN ON CAMPUS INJURY
Madalon Law hopes that no one becomes a victim of a criminal attack on a campus anywhere. The harsh reality and statistics tell us that this is unfortunately something that happens far too often. If a horrific attack does present itself to you while you are on campus visiting your child, or while attending classes of your own, you need to speak with an accident attorney immediately.
Universities in Broward County include:
- University of Florida; Broward Campus
- Florida Atlantic University; Broward Campuses
- Nova Southeastern University
- Broward College
Madalon Law is located in Broward, but helps victims throughout the state of Florida. Contact us today so we can answer your questions and go over your options.